What's new in PgcEdit v9
- A. : Added feature
- E. : Enhancement of an existing feature
- F. : Fixed bug
- F. Fixed a bug that caused a crash on some PCs running Win XP or Vista when a
system sound was played with a standard Yes/No/Cancel dialog.
- F. Since this bug might still be present on some systems, it is now possible
to replace the system sounds with the standard bell or to use no sounds at
all, with the Options -> User Interface -> Play Sounds submenu.
- F. PgcEdit hangs when a standard info/question/warning/error dialog is shown
and several default sound files are missing in the Windows media folder.
- F. Tk bug fixed (not by me!) The clipboard is no longer emptied when PgcEdit
- E. It is now possible to show again dialogs hidden during the current session by ticking Options > User Interface > Display Hidden Dialog Boxes During Current Session. Previously, only the dialogs that were permanently hidden via a "Hide this dialog" checkbox were restored.
Note: The hidden dialogs during current session are restored automatically
also when a new DVD is loaded (but not when the same DVD is reloaded.)
- F. Dialogs larger than the screen when they contain a very long error message.
- E. When the DVD is currently loading or saving, the operation is shown in the
title bar. It should not be possible any more to load or save the DVD or
to quit PgcEdit while the current operation is still in progress.
- E. Open DVD: The frame rate of the FP-PGC is now checked and fixed if needed.
- E. Added a warning in the log when PgcEdit detects gaps in the VOB/Cell IDs
numbering sequences of the VOB files when parsing them for menu buttons.
- E. When loading the DVD, PgcEdit can now create the first chapter in titles
without any chapter at all. (Fix for a DVDRemake bug)
- F. The number of titles was not initialized correctly when a DVD with only a
VIDEO_TS.IFO file created by File -> New DVD was read.
- E. Several enhancements to load somewhat damaged or butchered DVDs anyway.
SCAN FOR BUTTONS/BOVS
- E. The buttons and BOVs are now saved in "menubuttons_new.but" each time the
DVD is saved. Currently, the buttons and BOVs should be scanned only once.
- E. Scan Menu Buttons and BOVs: Now, PgcEdit tries to load the buttons from its
menubuttons.but file (in the backup folder) whenever possible, to speed the
loading process up. The BOVs are saved in that file only when a new backup
is created. It is therefore recommended to enable the "Create Backup when a
DVD is opened for the first time" input/output option. The BOV finder will
be opened only when PgcEdit cannot retrieve all BOVs from the backup, for
example when the last modification date of a VOB file has changed.
It is still possible to force the scanning of the VOB files with the new
"File -> Find Menu Buttons" and the old "File -> Find BOVs" functions.
- E. Added the "Assume No BOVs" option in the BOV finder to assume that all
selected titlesets (that have not yet been scanned for BOVs) have no BOVs.
It replaces the option to scan for BOVs automatically at startup.
- E. The BOV finder is now closed automatically when the scanning ends, except
when it is launched from the File menu or when the user aborts the scan.
- F. The color table is not saved any more in the button files. (The color table
is loaded from the VOB anyway when it is edited.)
- F. Fixed a bug that caused an incorrect parsing of menu buttons or BOVs when
the number of buttons is > 0 but the number of groups is 0 in the nav pack.
When this bad authoring is encountered, a warning is written in the log,
and PgcEdit assumes that there are no buttons.
- F. Bug in the scanning for BOVs of DVDs burned in DVD+VR format.
- A. Thanks to Jeanl, the preview has now some audio support, including under
Linux and Wine. Currently, it can play only the AC3 and LPCM streams. To
enable the audio, tick Preview -> Playback Mode -> Real Time With Audio.
In trace mode, the selected stream is the stream that you should hear with
a real player. In the other modes, the default stream depends on the
option selected in the Preview -> Default Audio Stream menu. PgcEdit tries
to select the first AC3 or LPCM stream matching the audio language code and
extension configured in the Trace menu > Setup > Virtual Player Setup, or
it selects the first available AC3 or LPCM stream.
- A. The preview window has also a dropdown box to select the audio stream on
the fly. In Trace mode, when the user changes the audio stream via the
dropdown menu of the preview, SPRM(1) is updated accordingly. The dropdown
menu is disabled when the Audio Stream Change PUO is set. In trace mode,
the dropdown menu acts therefore now exactly like the audio selection menu
of a real player.
- E. The preview can now be automatically paused between the cells. Therefore,
the preview of a PGC now takes into account the cell still times and
seamless flags. (The pause is limited to a maximum of 4 seconds.)
- E. In Burn DVD, the "Preview Cell" button has been replaced by "Preview LB" to
mimic almost exactly what happens when the playback reaches the layer break
position: the last seconds of the previous cells are shown, then a 2 secs
pause, and finally the Layer Break cell, with audio whenever possible.
- E. The preview can now play only the VOBUs pertaining to a specific angle, but
Preview Full Domain VOBs still shows all interleaved cells as before.
When previewing a multi-angle PGC, the user must select which angle they
want to see (or all interleaved angles like before) in a new dialog.
In trace or single cell modes, the correct angle is selected automatically.
Preview bug: Currently, the correct angle is lost when using the seekbar or
the <<, < or >> buttons. The > and Cell-/+ buttons work as expected.
- F. With Automatic Preview ticked, the preview was opened when the user clicked
with the middle or right button or double-clicked on the PGC Selector.
- F. The Preview is now closed when PgcEdit saves the DVD to avoid the "file in
use/permission denied" bug.
- E. It is no longer possible to launch an action when another action is still
currently running (except when trace mode is running.) This should fix the
problems of several actions being run at the same time, that caused some
crashes due to incompatibilities.
- E. When copying and pasting commands from a menu domain to a title domain, the
JumpSS commands are now converted automatically to CallSS, and vice-versa.
When converting to CallSS, the resume cell parameter is always set to 1.
A JumpSS to a VTSM menu is converted to CallSS only if its VTS parameter
matches the VTS where it is pasted. A CallSS to the current VTSM menu can't
be converted because the target VTS parameter of the JumpSS is undefined.
- F. Paste Replace: when there are many commands to paste and the total number
of commands exceeds 128, PgcEdit aborts the paste operation, but it removed
the original highlighted commands and turned off the Auto-Renumber option.
- E. Improvements in the Search box's right click menu. Added the Most Recently
Used sub-menu, and the First Selected Command entry.
- F. Search window: Clicking on a command that was in a VTS, LU, PGC or Cell
that has been removed since the search generated some end-of-table errors.
- E. Some cosmetics changes, including better messages in the status bar when
backing up a menu VOB file, and some GUI improvements under Linux.
- E. When an error message is displayed in the status bar, it is now highlighted
briefly in red. (Remember that you can see it in the log too.)
- E. When the user tries to use a function that requires a DVD to be loaded and
a DVD has not yet been loaded, a message is displayed in the status bar.
- F. Problem with hotkeys not working any more should be fixed.
- E. The utilisation of the preview has been modified in trace mode: now, the
cells of a PGC are played without closing the preview and it is possible to
use the virtual player buttons in the main PgcEdit window to control the
trace when the preview is running, just like with a real player.
- A. Trace mode: The current Title, PTT, Audio, Subpic and Angle display in the
player panel are now real menus, to simulate the menus of a real player. It
is therefore now possible to change the current Title, PTT or streams on
the fly unless a PUO prohibits the use of the menu. The PTT menu is
especially handy for skipping the preview of the majority of cells in a
- A. Trace mode: Added the option State -> "Mark played PGCs as '[played]'" and
"Clear all '[played]' comments and highlights". The comments are permanent,
and saved from session to session. Therefore, it is now possible to explore
the DVD completely, and to find the PGCs that are called by some commands
but never accessed in practice.
- E. Added a message when enabling the "Automatically start preview playback"
option to explain how to close the preview window automatically after a
user selectable delay in trace mode.
- F. Trace: The values assigned to the GPRM by a Set command after an underflow
or overflow with the -, + and * operators, and after a division by 0 with /
or % were wrong. A warning is now also added to the log in such cases.
- F. Trace mode: The Next and Prev chapter buttons did not work correctly when
used in a menu domain.
- F. Trace mode: LinkPrevPG in the first PG of a PGC and LinkNextPG in the last
PG caused an error. Now, LinkPrevPG reacts as LinkPrevPGC and LinkNextPG
as LinkTailPGC, as they should.
- F. The PUO #17 "Button Select Or Activate" was ignored. Now, the user cannot
select any button when that PUO is set.
- F. Trace mode: The trace breakpoints were not updated when the DVD structure
was manipulated via Remap PGCs, Remap Titlesets, Delete Last PGC, Delete
Last VTS, Remove Menu, Remove LU and Swap LUs.
- F. Trace mode: Fixed a bug occurring when the user does a resume by clicking
on the Root or Title menu button of the player panel when the menu viewer
- F. Trace mode: When using "->> Next PB", the trace did not break after a RSM.
- F. When the default highlighted BOV (set in SPRM 8 or forced in the nav pack)
was out of range, the trace stopped when playing the cell. Now, a warning
is issued, the first BOV is highlighted, and the trace continues.
- F. Trace mode: When the first menu encountered during the trace is too short
for the user to select a button, PgcEdit doesn't show the menu viewer, but
previously the trace stopped and it was impossible to continue the trace.
- F. The focus was lost after opening the trace mode when the watch window was
- A. File -> Backups: The small ( <= 1MB) menu VOB files with buttons are now
automatically copied as well in the backup folder when a backup is created.
- A. Added File -> Backups -> Add Menu Background Images To Backup, to add a
PPM image of all cells with buttons or BOVs in the current backup folder.
This way, it is possible to load the backup in PgcEdit, and see the menu
backgrounds in the Menu Editor.
- A. Added File -> Backups -> Create ZIP Backup to create a ZIP file with the
IFOs, menubuttons, small VOBs and user comments in the parent of VIDEO_TS.
There is an option to add the menu backgrounds of all cells with buttons or
BOVs as PPM images in the ZIP backup.
The zip file can be burned with the DVD as an additional security.
This function is available only in the standalone versions of PgcEdit.
- F. File -> Create backup: When a file cannot be copied to the backup folder,
PgcEdit no longer tries to copy any more files, and aborts immediately.
- E. PgcEdit now scans the VOBs for BOVs after Import and Replace VTST Titles.
- F. Replace VTST Titles: the stream assignments are no longer copied from the
original PGC. They are now always kept as they are in the imported IFO.
- F. Replace VTST Titles: the number of chapters was sometimes incorrectly
updated in the VMG_TT_SRPT table when more than one title was imported.
- A. New Edit function "Dup and Increment" to duplicate several commands at once
and automatically adjust their parameters. Useful to create long lists of
- A. Added DVD -> Clear Useless Set GPRM commands to convert the Set GPRM commands, that uselessly alter GPRMs, to NOP or plain Link commands, and convert all SetGPRMMD in register mode commands to normal Set commands.
- A. Added DVD > Remove Useless Stuff to call Delete Unreferenced Cell Commands,
Delete Uncalled TitleSets, Clear Useless Set GPRM Commands, Clear Jumps to
Void PGCs and Delete Uncalled PGCs in one shot.
- A. Added DVD and PGC -> Delete Unreferenced Cell Commands to remove the cell
commands not referenced in the cell table and reorder them.
- F. DVD -> Delete Uncalled PGCs deleted the uncalled PGCs and chapters of
not-one_sequential PGCs, causing shifts in the chapters numbers. Now, if
a chapter of a not-one_seq title is called, the whole title is kept.
- F. Domain -> Delete Last PGC of Domain: Added "Yes to this session" button
to the confirmation and to the "Delete it in all LUs?" dialogues.
- E. Added the Camera/Film model in Domain Stream Attributes and Info > Streams.
- F. Domain Stream Attributes cosmetic bug: the 16:9 radiobutton was not ticked.
- E. PGC -> Kill PGC Playback now also removes the GoUpPGCN link.
- E. PGC -> Kill PGC Playback: When a menu PGC is converted to dummy, the post
commands are copied in the pre-command area. They are now also removed
from the post-commands area, as they are useless and confusing.
- E. Jump To PGC Upon DVD Insert: It was not possible to reach a PGC of a not-
one_sequential Title if the target PGC was not the entry PGC of the Title.
- E. Jump To PGC Upon DVD Insert: It was not possible to reach a dummy PGC.
- F. Clone PGC: The Prev/Next/GoUpPGCN links pointing to themselves were not
updated in the new PGC.
- F. Bug in Menu > Select a Non-hidden Button/BOV by Default, when the PGC has
several cells with buttons.
- F. Menu -> New Menu: The number of buttons of the menu was not initialized.
- E. Integrated the functions of the LU plugin in PgcEdit itself, in the Menu
menu. The plugin is now useless and no longer supported.
- E. Copy LU Commands to Other LUs (previously in the LU plugin) has been
improved to also copy the cell command numbers, the Prev/Next/GoUpPGCN
links, the PUOs, the CLUT, the menu button commands, adjacent links, color
scheme numbers and auto activate flags of the buttons, as well as the
global menu options (number of numerically selectable buttons, default
forced highlighted and activated button and delay.) Some of the parameters
are copied only if the user accepts a dialog. As a consequence, the new
function is now called Copy LU Commands And Params to Other LUs.
- E. Integrated the function of the Time Map plugin in PgcEdit itself, in the
Title menu. The plugin is now useless and no longer supported.
Also, DVD -> Rebuild All Time Maps of DVD has been moved in the Title menu.
- F. Rebuild Time Map: After a discrepancy in VOBU End Presentation Time error,
the VOB file was not closed if the user aborted the scan.
- E. It is now possible to hide the "Rebuild Time Map" dialog and answer Yes or
No automatically during the current PgcEdit session.
- F. Title -> PTT (Chapter) Editor: When creating a new chapter, the new chapter
number was wrong.
- A. Added Info -> Multiple sets of buttons/BOVs, to display the list of cells
and PGCs containing multiple sets of buttons or BOVs. This info is also
displayed automatically after a successful BOV scan when the DVD is loaded,
if multiple sets of buttons or BOVs have been detected.
- E. Info -> Menu Button/BOVs commands: The number of buttons sets is now
also displayed when there are several sets, and the number of numerically
selectable buttons is also always displayed.
- E. Info -> PGC and Info -> DVD Commands: The Multiple Button Sets information
has been added. (Info -> DVD Commands lists only the first sets.)
- F. The DVD is no longer considered as modified after Info -> Find Uncalled
- A. Added Info -> Find Unreferenced Cell Commands.
- A. Added Info -> Find Useless Set GPRM commands to display a list of the GPRMs
that are set but never read, and to search for the Set, SetGPRMMD, CSetCLnk
and CSetLnk commands that initialize them.
- E. Info -> GPRMs: The GPRM Info window doesn't search the commands in the
unreferenced VOB cells any more.
- A. Added Info -> SPRMs, similar to Info -> GPRMs, to see the SPRMs usage count
and search for any SPRM easily. In addition, the Trace's SPRM break option
can also be toggled by clicking on the first button. This dialog can also
be opened from the command editor by right-clicking on any SPRM button.
- A. Added the hotkey Control+Shift+I to call Info -> GPRMs.
- E. Tools configuration: The argument "%l" is now substituted by the DVD label
without any translation, and limited to 63 characters (UDF compatible.)
"%l" can be used to pass the DVD label to ImgBurn.
"%L" has been added and replaces the old option "%l". "%L" is substituted
by the ISO9660 compatible label (max 32 alphanumeric upper case characters)
- E. When launching a tool with the "Save DVD before launching tool" option
enabled and when the DVD was read from a read-only media, PgcEdit doesn't
try to save the DVD any more.
- E. Tools -> FixVTS now verifies if the files to process are writable before
launching FixVTS, as it crashes if it's not the case. (However, for a Title
domain, only the first VOB is checked, and the BUPs are never checked.)
- F. It was not possible to launch FixVTS from PgcEdit on the VMGM.
- E. Added "Options -> Input/Output -> Select Explorer" to select an alternative
file browser if you wish. (Under Windows only.)
- A. Added orange and yellow highlights in the cell command area and a warning
in the status bar to show the unreferenced cell commands and cell command
- E. Since conditional NOP commands are not supported by some players, this is
now considered as illegal and has been removed from the command editor.
- E. PGC Editor, Cells list: The seamless checkbox is now highlighted in yellow
when it is clear but the previous cell is contiguous.
- E. PGC Editor: Added "Paste in All PGCs" option in the popup menu of the Audio
and Subpic VOB's Decoding Streams to modify all PGCs of the current domain
in one shot.
- F. PGC Editor: The manual modifications in the cell table were lost after
using Remove Cells, Create New Cell or Del Angles.
- E. Now, when a new cell is created, the menu buttons information is updated so
that the modified VOB will not be scanned for buttons/BOVs the next time
and the correct number of buttons is displayed in the PGC selector pane.
- F. PGC Editor -> Create New Cell: Cloning a cell by reusing an existing V/CID
did not work in a dummy PGC.
- F. PGC Editor -> Create New Cell: PgcEdit tries now to set the Seamless Joint
and the STC Discontinuity flags correctly, according to the previous cell.
- F. PGC Editor -> Create New Cell: When an existing cell is cloned, the cell
still time and cell command number are not cloned any more.
- F. PGC Editor: After having used the PTT Editor to remove some chapters, the
number of the new chapter created by Create New Cell was wrong.
- F. PGC Editor: The DVD was marked as modified after using Remove Cells or Del
Angles, even if the changes were aborted.
- F. PGC Editor: End of Table bug when reassigning a V/CID after having removed
some programs by deleting cells.
- E. Since FixVTS has some bugs and cannot be used successfully to remove the
unreferenced angle cells after having used PgcEdit's Del Angle function,
the messages associated with this function have been modified. VobBlanker
works fine to remove all angles but one, and DVD Shrink can be used to
compress the unreferenced interleaved cells with its "Still Image" method.
MENU EDITOR AND VIEWER
- E. When the user tries to edit the BOVs of a title domain that has not been
scanned for BOVs yet, the error dialog now offers to scan for BOVs now.
- F. Menu viewer and editor: It is no longer possible to use the arrow keys to
move out of an Auto-Action button.
- F. Menu editor: Bug when selecting group 2 of a cell initially without button:
Cell 1 was selected instead of the current cell.
- F. Menu editor: After creating a new cell in a menu initially without a non-
dummy cell and without a VOB, it was impossible to use the menu editor
during the same PgcEdit session.
- F. If a VTST has no subpic, but the user forces scanning for BOVs, when the
the DVD was reloaded, that VTST was not read automatically from the .but
file, and it was considered as still not scanned, preventing use of the
- E. Added a warning when the user edits or pastes a menu button or BOV command
without Jump, Call, Link, RSM or Exit in an animated cell with a single set
of buttons. The command is also highlighted in yellow.
- E. Menu Editor: Removed the entry Hide Button -> Replace Command With NOP, as
it doesn't work well in many cases.
- E. Removed the limitation of the number of numerically selectable buttons to
9 buttons, as some players can handle any button number.
NEW SCRATCHBOOK FUNCTIONS
- A. Added a new "Scratchbook" menu. It is now possible to define as many
scratchbook sections, and group the commands in those sections.
It is also possible to append the currently selected commands directly to
any section of the scratchbook, or to a new section.
See the Help menu entry for more information.
- A. Added the possibility to load a scratchbook from the command line. You
cannot load a scratchbook and a DVD from the command line at the same time.
Type "PgcEdit /?" or "PgcEdit -h" to display the command line syntax.
- A. Under windows, the standalone PgcEdit executable has a new entry in the
Options -> Install menu to associate the scratchbook files with PgcEdit.
- F. The pwd problem under Linux when PgcEdit is started from a script is
- E. Thanks to the latest Wine, the DirectDraw overlays are now available for
the preview under Linux. They are still off by default.
- TO DO There are still some important bugs or problems in Wine under
some distributions (notably Ubuntu) preventing the preview running when it
is launched from PgcEdit. I'm still investigating...